Migraine Pain Management in Mooresville and Salisbury, NC
Migraines headaches can be very painful and vary in intensity and are often experienced with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. If you have been suffering from migraine headaches and are struggling to find relief, schedule an appointment at Carolina Pain and Weight Loss today!
Our pain management specialists can find the type and dose of pain medication that is most effective for you to relieve your migraine pain. Call our Mooresville office at (704) 360-4564 or our Salisbury office at (704) 637-5767 to schedule an appointment with a pain management specialist.
What Are the Symptoms of Migraines?
There are several variations of symptoms a person can experience during a migraine headache. Here are some of the most common that are experienced:
- Pounding and throbbing pain that can affect the entire head, this pain can be moderate to severe
- Sensitivity to light and noise
- Nausea, vomiting, and upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
What Triggers migraines?
Hormone changes in women can trigger migraines, especially before or during their periods, which is when a big drop in estrogen occurs.
It is also important to watch what you eat or drink. Certain foods, food additives, and drinks can trigger migraine headaches. It is advised to avoid foods with aspartame and monosodium glutamate (MSG), as well as salty foods.
Changes in the environment and stress have also been shown to trigger migraines. A sudden change of weather or barometric pressure can affect those who are sensitive to these changes.
People who have more stressful lifestyles are more prone to migraines. Relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation may help ease the pain and frequency of migraines.
When To Seek Professional Help For Your Migraines?
Some symptoms being experienced may require you to seek immediate treatment by a doctor.
- An abrupt, severe headache
- A headache with a fever, seizures, numbness or trouble speaking
- A headache after a head injury
- A chronic headache that is worse after coughing
How Do You Treat Chronic Migraines?
Seeking treatment for migraine headaches can help ease symptoms and prevent future attacks. There are plenty of pain-relieving medications and preventative medications that your physician may recommend or prescribe:
- Pain Relievers: such as aspirin or ibuprofen may be recommended to help treat mild migraines
- Triptans: a medication used often in treating migraines by making the blood vessels constrict and block pain pathways to the brain
- Ergots: a combination of ergotamine and caffeine, which is recommended for those who experience the symptoms for more than 48 hours
- Anti-Nausea Medications: this is typically combined with other medications
- Opioid medications: for those who cannot handle triptans or ergots, opioid medications may be recommended
What Are Some Alternative Treatments for Migraines?
If you are opposed to taking medication for your migraine headaches, a more non-traditional therapy may help ease the symptoms of your headache.
- Biofeedback: a relaxation technique that used special equipment to help you monitor and control stress
- Massage Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: this type of psychotherapy teaches you how behaviors and thoughts affect how you perceive pain
- Herbs, Vitamins, and Minerals
How Do You Prevent Frequent Migraines?
Living a healthy, relaxed lifestyle is important in controlling and preventing migraines. Performing exercises that promote muscle relaxation, getting sufficient sleep and rest can all help prevent migraine headaches. If you have any additional questions or concerns about treating migraines, call Carolina Pain and Weight Loss today.